About Me

My photo
Knoxville, TN, United States
Reformed Christian with 1 Wife, 1 Daughter, 1 God (in 3 persons), Sixty-Six Books, 5 Points, 5 Sola's, and 1 Purpose to Glorify God.

VIDEO ABOUT WORDS OF LIFE

Friday, June 4, 2010

Why is church boring?

I think that is a fair question to ask. A couple of reasons come to mind, maybe the person sitting in the pew is lost and without Christ. Or maybe it is the message being spoken. Ted Kluck (real name) said this,
Church isn’t boring because we’re not showing enough film clips, or because we play an organ instead of guitar. It’s boring because we neuter it of its importance. At the end of my life, I want my friends and family to remember me as someone who battled for the Gospel, who tried to mortify sin in my life, who fought hard for life, and who contended earnestly for the faith. Not just a nice guy who occasionally noticed the splendor of the mountains God created, while otherwise just trying to enjoy myself, manage my schedule, and work on my short game.
I think there is a lot of truth in the statement he makes “neuter it of its importance.” When we preach ANYTHING other than the Gospel however current or relevant it may sound it is boring. We do not need more programs, videos, music, skits, pop-psychology, or emotion driven messages to further the Kingdom of God. John MacArthur said, “Soft preaching makes hard people, but hard preaching makes soft people.” I believe EVERY TIME you stand in the pulpit to speak the central theme and the entire message should be Jesus Christ and Him crucified for the sins of a lost and dying world. What else is there that could be more important, relevant, or current? I believe God is a lot of things, but He is not boring, nor is the message of God and His Son and our redemption. I think of the old hymn, “I Love to Tell the Story” the first verse says,
I love to tell the story of unseen things above, of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love. I love to tell the story because I know ‘tis true, it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.